Scotcheroos have been a family favorite since I was a little kid. My grandma would make them and cut them into tiny bite sized squares. I remember them being just as addictive then as they are now!
The simplicity of this recipe makes them a favorite of mine when I make them for my family! The main thing to remember when making scotcheroos is to have everything prepared. Once the corn syrup/sugar combo starts to cook, the process goes pretty quickly!
Gather your ingredients.
Grease your baking dish, pour the Rice Krispies into a bowl & set aside.
Add sugar & corn syrup into a pot over medium-high heat.
Stir frequently until the mixture comes to a boil & immediately remove from heat. Add peanut butter and stir until smooth.
Pour the mixture directly onto Rice Krispies and stir so that all pieces are coated. Because of how quickly this hardens up, you’ll want to do this as quickly as you can!
While the cereal mixture is still hot, scoop it into your pre-greased 9×13 baking dish.
Spread the mixture evenly in the dish.
Pour chips into a pot, a bowl, (or a measuring cup!) and heat either on stove top or in microwave. I heat mine in a bowl or measuring cup in the microwave for 30 second intervals stirring each time between!
Once the chips are completely melted and combined, pour over the top & smooth it out! Let it cool!
- 6 cups of Rice Krispies (or other puffed rice cereal)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 8 oz light corn syrup
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1. Place Rice Krispies in a large mixing bowl.
2. Grease 9×13 baking dish.
3. Combine corn syrup & sugar in a sauce pan over medium-high heat and stir until boiling.
4. Remove from heat once boiling and immediately stir in peanut butter until fully combined.
5. Pour the mixture over the cereal and stir until cereal is fully coated. Press the mixture into the pan until it is evenly distributed.
6. Melt chocolate & butterscotch chips together.
7. Cover the top with the melted chocolate & allow to cool.
8. Finally, cut into squares & devour!